Monday, December 7, 2015

Native Americans Research

In class today we had a cooperative learning lesson to research a Native American Tribe and create a power point to explain the tribe to the rest of the class. I was not looking forward to this at first because we have done this in middle school, and I thought that it was just going to be a repeat of what I have learned already. BUT BOY WAS I WRONG...

My group got to explore the Muscogee Tribe and this tribe was very interesting. I learned quite a bit about this tribe the their ways. This tribe was often called the Creek Tribe because they lived near creeks. Although they were forced out of their homelands they re-established their home in Oklahoma. This tribe did not wear the traditional head piece that many Native Americans are "remembered as" The men in the tribe did wear their hair in a Mohawk style.
The Muscogee tribe wore the traditional breech cloth and moccasins. The women wore wrap around dresses. In the winter the men would wear leather leggings to keep warm and mantels made out of deer skin. 



We needed a way to make our tribe engaging to the entire class so I was very relieved when Jenna told me that she knew how to do their traditional dance! I was very excited! She taught the entire group how to do the stomp dance and we got to perform it for the class! Every group had a traditional dance and most of them were done around a fire and to Mother Earth. I found this very interesting. I will use this in my classroom when teaching the students about Native Americans. 

I think my favorite part of this lesson was learning about all of the other Native American tribes and their lives and comparing them to the lives of the Muscogee. We played an awesome scavenger hunt game after we presented the Native American tribes. This was a clever way to make sure that the students were obtaining the information.
A video about the Muscogee tribe that is very relaxing!


1 comment:

  1. Carla,
    I enjoyed reading about how you were hesitant about this project at first but then enjoyed the research process and how much you learned about the Muscogee tribe. I too felt that I obtained a wealth of knowledge about my assigned tribe, the Tlingit tribe. I have to agree with you in the fact that your favorite part of the lesson was taking what you know about your own Native American tribe and comparing it to all the other presentations of different tribes. Also, the scavenger hunt was a good way to review what we learned. Great blog post and use of pictures and colors!

    ReplyDelete